Afternoon tea @ The Morritt (11/1/14)

I started off January 2014 with a lovely treat. A pick me up after the blues that come when Christmas celebrations are over. Leigh had gotten me a Gourmet Society card for my birthday present (in December) and it came with a free gift of an Afternoon tea voucher. We decided to redeem it at the closest venue to us, which was at The Morritt Country House Hotel in the market town of Barnard Castle in County Durham.

DSC08751
Market town of Barnard Castle

Me and Leigh like to see historical sites (we’ve seen quite a few!), so we went to a couple of ruins nearby before afternoon tea. We went to Barnard Castle and Eggleston Abbey.

The afternoon tea was perfect for warming up after walking around in the chill all day. The sandwiches, scones and petit fours were delicious. The scones had been freshly baked, so were still warm when we ate them. The stand out petit four for me was the hibiscus flavoured one (in a shot glass). This really challenged my taste buds – I was not expecting it to as much as it did! My mouth just popped alive with so much unique flavour.

IMG_9433
Afternoon tea at The Morritt

Sandwiches, scones and petit fours


The decor and service was pleasant at The Morritt and we both thoroughly enjoyed afternoon tea there. We only had to pay for one person, as I had a voucher for the other. So, it worked out to be really good value for what we got.

1528603_10151785882216793_1819273964_n
Petit fours

I would recommend popping over to The Morritt if you’re around in the area. We want to go back another time and try the restaurant menu, which has been awarded two AA rosettes. The rooms look nice too, so we may pair dinner with a stay in the hotel.

Overall, we had a lovely day out. It’s been a while since we got ourselves out the house and doing something together. Hopefully, we start this the new year as we mean to go on! :-)

Comments